School Library Summit Symposium 1 (3-part Series)
The SJSU School of Information is pleased to present the School Library Summit, co-sponsored by the University of South Carolina’s School of Information Science and Simmons School of Library and Information Science, and supported by ALA and AASL.
I. Welcome and Introductions (10:00 – 10:05 a.m. Pacific Time)
- Anthony Chow, PhD, Director and Professor, SJSU School of Information; Co-Chair of ALISE Council of Deans, Directors and Chairs
- Sanda Erdelez, PhD, Interim Dean and Professor, College of Organizational, Computational and Information Sciences, Simmons University; Co-Chair of ALISE Council of Deans, Directors and Chairs
II. Keynote Address (10:05 – 10:45 a.m. Pacific Time)
III. Panel 1 (10:45 – 11:20 a.m. Pacific Time): What does a strong school library look like and how do we best prepare and educate school librarians to create and run them?
- Karen Gavigan, PhD, Interim Director, School of Information Science, College of Information and Communications
- Jonathan Hunt, MLIS, County Schools Librarian at San Diego County Office of Education
- Cynthia Richardson Johnson, PhD Candidate, College of Information and Communications, University of South Carolina
IV. Panel 2 (11:20 – 11:55 a.m. Pacific Time): What specific, achievable, strategic actions should be taken at federal and state levels to address effectively, at a policy level, equity of access for all students to well-funded school libraries staffed by certified school librarians?
V. Concluding Remarks (11:55 a.m. – Noon Pacific Time) – Drs. Anthony Chow and Sanda Erdelez