School Library Summit Symposium 1 (3-part Series)
The SJSU School of Information is pleased to present the School Library Summit, co-sponsored by the University of South Carolina’s School of Information Science and Simmons School of Library and Information Science, and supported by by ALA and AASL. The recording will be available in about two weeks.
I. Welcome and Introductions (10:00 – 10:05 a.m. Pacific Time)
- Anthony Chow, PhD, Director and Professor, SJSU School of Information; Co-Chair of ALISE Council of Deans, Directors and Chairs
- Sanda Erdelez, PhD, Interim Dean and Professor, College of Organizational, Computational and Information Sciences, Simmons University; Co-Chair of ALISE Council of Deans, Directors and Chairs
II. Keynote Address (10:05 – 10:45 a.m. Pacific Time)
III. Panel 1 (10:45 – 11:20 a.m. Pacific Time): What does a strong school library look like and how do we best prepare and educate school librarians to create and run them?
- Karen Gavigan, PhD, Interim Director, School of Information Science, College of Information and Communications
- Jonathan Hunt, MLIS, County Schools Librarian at San Diego County Office of Education
- Cynthia Richardson Johnson, PhD Candidate, College of Information and Communications, University of South Carolina
IV. Panel 2 (11:20 – 11:55 a.m. Pacific Time): What specific, achievable, strategic actions should be taken at federal and state levels to address effectively, at a policy level, equity of access for all students to well-funded school libraries staffed by certified school librarians?
V. Concluding Remarks (11:55 a.m. – Noon Pacific Time) – Drs. Anthony Chow and Sanda Erdelez