Account Set Up
All SJSU students and faculty members have Zoom Pro accounts. Your account offers you the ability to host meetings with no time limit. You have a personal meeting “room” with a link and meeting ID that you can customize for ad-hoc/instant meeting. You can make recordings in your meetings.
How do you access all of this? Get started by setting up your profile and basic meeting preferences.
1. Login at https://sjsu.zoom.us and click “Sign in.” (Do not go directly to zoom.us. Always use the SJSU-branded portal page for Zoom.)
- Username: SJSU 9 digit ID
- Password: SJSUOne Password (the same one you use to access Canvas)
2. In the left menu, select Profile . From here you can add your profile picture and customize Personal Meeting Room ID. Your Personal Meeting Room  is a virtual meeting room permanently reserved for you to can access with your Personal Meeting ID (PMI)  or personal link. It’s ideal for use with people you meet with regularly.
Note: Because the personal room is always accessible with the same meeting ID and personal link, it should not be used for back-to-back meetings or people you do not meet with regularly. Once a participant has the link to your PMI, they can join it any time the meeting is in use, unless you lock the meeting or use the Waiting Roomfeature to admit participants individually.
3. Scroll down the page and edit the Date and Time zone if it is not correctly listed.
4. In the left menu, select Settings. The settings you select on this page will apply to all of the meetings you set up.
5. Under the Meetings tab, select Security settings
- Require a password when scheduling new meetings: enable
Zoom automatically generates a 6 digit password for each new meeting created, and these passwords are embedded in the invitation URLs.
- Require a password for Personal Meeting ID (PMI): enable
- Waiting room: enable
A waiting room puts each of your meeting attendees into an individual space where you can verify they are who they say they are. You then have the option to release all people from the waiting rooms, or individually allow them in.
- Embed password in invite link for one-click join: disable
- Only authenticated users can join meetings: personal
All SJSU Zoom meetings by default have passwords, but anyone with the meeting link details can join your Zoom meeting. With authentication, your attendees also need to sign in to Zoom and be verified as valid Zoom users. Every CSU student and employee is a valid Zoom user, so this is a great feature to enable when everyone in your meeting or class is a CSU person. Learn more at SJSU Authentication website.
6. Scroll down the page and locate the In Meeting (Basic) settings.
- Host Video: disable
You can still turn on your video in the meeting but this setting ensures your camera doesn’t come on automatically when you enter your meeting.
- Participants: disable
Participants can still turn on their cameras in your meetings, but this setting ensures their cameras do not come on automatically when they enter your meeting.
- Audio Type: Telephone and Computer Audio
This gives participants the option to use a telephone for audio if their computer audio doesn’t work.
- Join before host: personal preference
If you enable this, participants will be able to enter the meeting room before you (or another host) enter. If you do not enable this, participants who try to connect before the host will see a notification that they will be joined to the room when the host has entered.
6. Continue with the In Meeting (Basic) settings
- Chat: enable
- Private Chat: enable
- Auto Saving Chats: enable
You can decide whether or not you want an audible alert each time someone joins or leaves the session. Regardless of your selection, you will always hear an alert when the first person joins the room.
6. Continuing with the In Meeting (Basic) settings:
- File transfer: enable
- Co-host: enable
- Polling: enable
7. Continuing in the In Meeting (Basic) settings:
- Always show meeting control bar: enable
- Annotation: enable
- Whiteboard: enable
- Remote Control: enable
- Nonverbal feedback: enable
This option will display emoticons on the participant panel.
8. Continue down the page and locate the In Meeting (Advanced) settings.
- Report participants to Zoom: enabled
- Breakout Room: enable
- Closed Caption: enable
- Save Captions: enabled
- Virtual Background: enable
This concludes the process of setting up your profile and preferences for the meetings you hold in Zoom.