Account Set Up
All SJSU students and faculty members have Zoom Pro accounts. Your account offers you the ability to host – and record -meetings with no time limit. You have a personal meeting “room” with a link and meeting ID that you can customize for ad-hoc/instant meetings.
How do you access all of this? Get started by setting up your profile and basic meeting preferences.
1. Login at https://sjsu.zoom.us and click “Sign in.” (Do not go directly to zoom.us. Always use the SJSU-branded portal page for Zoom.)
- Username: SJSU 9 digit ID
- Password: SJSUOne Password (the same one you use to access Canvas)
2. In the left menu, select Profile . From here you can add your profile picture and customize Personal Meeting Room ID. Your Personal Meeting Room  is a virtual meeting room permanently reserved for you to can access with your Personal Meeting ID (PMI)  or personal link. It’s ideal for use with people you meet with regularly.
Note: Because the personal room is always
accessible with the same meeting ID and personal link, it should
not be used for back-to-back meetings or people you do not meet
with regularly. Once a participant has the link to your PMI, they
can join it any time the meeting is in use, unless you
lock the meeting or use the Waiting Roomfeature to admit
3. Scroll down the page and edit the
Date and Time zone if it is not correctly
4. In the left menu, select Settings. The settings you select on this page will apply to all of the meetings you set up.
5. Under the Meetings tab, select Security settings
Waiting room: enable
A waiting room puts each of your meeting attendees into an individual space where you can verify they are who they say they are. You then have the option to release all people from the waiting rooms, or individually allow them in.
Require a password when scheduling new meetings:
Zoom automatically generates a 6 digit password for each new meeting created, and these passwords are embedded in the invitation URLs.
- Require a passcode for instant meetings: enable
- Require a password for Personal Meeting ID (PMI): enable
- Embed password in invite link for one-click join: disable
Only authenticated users can join meetings: personal
All SJSU Zoom meetings by default have passwords, but anyone with the meeting link details can join your Zoom meeting. With authentication, your attendees also need to sign in to Zoom and be verified as valid Zoom users. Every CSU student and employee is a valid Zoom user, so this is a great feature to enable when everyone in your meeting or class is a CSU person. Learn more at SJSU Authentication website.
6. Scroll down the page and locate the Schedule Meeting settings.
Host Video: disable
You can still turn on your video in the meeting but this setting ensures your camera doesn’t come on automatically when you enter your meeting.
Participants Video: disable
Participants can still turn on their cameras in your meetings, but this setting ensures their cameras do not come on automatically when they enter your meeting.
Audio Type: Telephone and Computer Audio
This gives participants the option to use a telephone for audio if their computer audio doesn’t work.
Allow participants to join before host: personal
If you enable this, participants will be able to enter the meeting room before you (or another host) enter. If you do not enable this, participants who try to connect before the host will see a notification that they will be joined to the room when the host has entered.
Mute all participants upon entry: enable
Automatically mutes all participants when they join the meeting. The host controls whether participants can unmute themselves
7. Scroll down the page and locate the In Meeting (Basic) settings.
- Chat: enable
- Private Chat: personal preference
Sound notification when someone joins or leaves:
You can decide whether or not you want an audible alert each time someone joins or leaves the session. Regardless of your selection, you will always hear an alert when the first person joins the room.
- File Transfer: disable
Co-hosts have the same in-meeting controls as the host.
Meeting Polls: enable
Allow host to use ‘Polls’ in meetings. Hosts can add polls before or during a meeting.
- Screen sharing: enable
- Annotation: enable
- Whiteboard: enable
- Non-verbal feedback: enable
- Meeting reactions: enable
8. Continue down the page and locate the In Meeting (Advanced) settings.
- Report participants to Zoom: enabled
- Breakout Room: enable
- Closed Caption: enable
- Save Captions: enabled
- Virtual Background: enable
This concludes the process of setting up your profile and preferences for the meetings you hold in Zoom.