Home Computing Environment
Please note that the School requires that prior to enrolling and starting the INFO 203 course all incoming students have computer access in their homes with the following minimum hardware, as well as home internet access:
For PCs: Intel Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, Core i9, Itanium, Xeon, or AMD APU/Fusion (Bulldozer, Piledriver, Excavator, Steamroller, Bobcat, Jaguar, Puma or Zen/Ryzen).
For Macs: Intel-based processors (Intel Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, Core i9), or Apple M1 ARM processors (M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2).
- For PC users: Windows 10 or Windows 11.
- For Mac users: v11 (Big Sur) or v12 (Monterey) or v13 (Ventura).
- Chromebooks: Please note that Chromebooks are NOT supported.
RAM: 8.0 GB – 16.0 GB
Hard Drive: 100GB or greater. Solid State
Drives (SSD) and ”Fusion” drives are acceptable, and are
recommended where possible.
Storage and Backup:
- Local Storage: External hard drives, USB Flash drives, and network-attached storage (NAS) options are strongly recommended.
- Cloud Storage: Students may back up course-related materials to their SJSU Google Drive. For other cloud storage providers, please confirm that the provider has strong security in place to protect your data. For students using SJSU Google Drive, you may consider investigating the Google File Stream or Google Backup and Sync applications. Third-party applications are also available for syncing data to Google Drive. Important Note: We strongly recommend maintaining local backups of your data, in addition to any cloud-based backups.
- Document Backups: Students are strongly encouraged to regularly back up critical documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, HTML files, etc).
- Automating Local Backups: For Windows users, third-party software programs are available that coordinate automatic backups of data to an external hard drive. For Mac users, the Time Machine feature will allow you to set up automatic data backups to either an external hard drive or a network-attached Time Capsule drive.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are responsible for backing up anything you want to save from Canvas and other systems. If you have course work on Senna or another system, you are responsible for saving that. We strongly recommend that you keep extra backup copies of anything that might be needed for your e-Portfolio and that you back them up using one or more types of removable media. Additionally, you may back them up to cloud storage.
Audio: Integrated onboard audio or
internal sound card or external USB sound card.
External speakers recommended.
Headsets: Students are required to have a
headset with a microphone. USB or Bluetooth headsets are
Printing: Local or networked printer
(inkjet or laserjet).
Internet Connectivity: Access to a
high-speed connection is required. Minimum requirement: 1.5
Mbps downstream. Recommended: 3 Mbps
downstream, or greater. You can check your connectivity
Two Factor Authentication: As of
Spring 2021, students taking the program will be
required to have a smartphone that supports the free
DUO Mobile App for two factor authentication login to the
- Network Hardware: Any appropriate hardware for whatever type of Internet connection you have. For example: DSL modem, Cable-modem, Ethernet adapter, Mobile broadband card, MiFi (cellular WiFi base station), WiMAX modem, satellite dish, etc.