Semester Leave


Semester Leave

Once a student has enrolled for at least one semester, the student has the option of not enrolling for one semester. If a student opts not to enroll for one semester, no paperwork is required. Please note that newly enrolled students must attend for one semester before they are eligible for this semester leave.

Students who have attended one semester as a graduate student and are in good standing may leave SJSU for one semester (Fall or Spring) without applying for an official leave of absence. Students must return in the semester following the one semester leave or they will have to re-apply for admission. Students in good standing who re-apply within one year will be automatically admitted, and do not need to send transcripts. Summer and Winter* registration is not required nor does it count as being in matriculation. (See Leave of Absences at Note: Leaves do not impact, change, or extend the 7 year rule for completing the graduate degree. (*iSchool does not offer classes in Winter session.)

Students wishing to take a leave of two or more semesters (fall/spring or spring/fall), should read the University Policy section on “Leave of Absence and Withdrawal“. (See Academic forms for a listing of all Office of the Registrar forms.)

If a student needs two or more consecutive semesters off, the student must submit a Leave Request prior to the start of the semester after a One Semester Leave. Fill out the Leave Request Form (PDF is on Office of Registrar Web site).  Send the completed pdf, a typed personal statement and supporting documents, to the Student Services Team to obtain advisor’s signature. Student Services will submit the petition to the university.