INFO 294 Student Handbook
INFO 294, Professional Experience: Internships, gives students the opportunity to gain valuable professional work experience under the supervision and guidance of information professionals in the field while pursuing defined learning outcomes and earning course credit towards their degrees. It is designed to provide students an opportunity to test theories and to apply skills learned in other courses taken during the MLIS or Post-Master's Certificate programs. This Internship course (INFO 294) can also be taken as one of five electives by students in the Post-Master's Certificate program.
Internship opportunities can be on-site (an intern physically works at an organization) or virtual (an intern works online on directed projects). Of course, an on-site intern can do some work virtually, and a virtual intern may be able to visit the site, but the majority of work and supervision is done either on-site or virtually.
- Internships can be paid or unpaid.
- Internships require a minimum of 90 hours (for 2 units), 135 hours (for 3 units) and 180 hours (for 4 units) completed by the end of the semester.
- Internships are graded credit ⁄ no credit INFO 294 courses.
- Students can enroll in only one internship during a semester.
- INFO 294 internships are repeatable for a maximum of 8 units of credit towards the MLIS degree.
- INFO 294 internships can be taken only once for a maximum of three units towards the Post-Master's Certificate.
- Students may not participate in internships at their regular place of employment.
- Students may not choose the same internship site twice.
- Students may not concentrate internship hours during the semester—work must be completed consistently throughout from week to week.