Student Support #13
13. Efforts are made to engage students with the program and institution in order to minimize feelings of isolation and alienation.
Deficient Developing Accomplished Exemplary
After Admission and Before Class Registration
After students are admitted but before they ever register for classes we aim to connect with prospective students in the following ways
1) A content blog where we post relevant information and welcome admitted students to submit comments
2) Three-five messages sent at intervals between acceptance and the beginning of classes. Messages give information about next steps, registration procedures, and online learning
3) Email communications informing of upcoming events, school news, and admissions processes.
4) Online Registration Workshop that guides the new students through the registration process and provides other tips for getting started.
New Student Checklist
A new student checklist helps students start strong in the program.
From the Associate Director
From the Director and Faculty
A new student orientation is held via a synchronous web conference session each spring and fall semester. It is recorded for later review by those who cannot attend in real time.
From the Student Services Team -Welcome Video
First Semester Students
Each student has a peer mentor in Info 203, a required first-semester class.
We have a full time Student Services Team who are the primary point of contact for administrative questions and procedures.
Our Student Outreach Specialist helps with advising and runs an extensive advising site on Canvas to which all students are joined.
Each student has access to a team of academic pathway advisors
Students have access to the Graduate Advisor who oversees the advising process and answers questions and deals with complaints. She also talks with prospective students.
In support of students, the Graduate Advisor maintains a curriculum blog and answers questions posted there. – iSchool Curriculum Center blog
American Library Association iSchool Student Chapter
Association for Information Science and Technology Student Chapter, San Jose State University
Society of American Archivists Student Chapter San Jose State University
Special Libraries Association Student Chapter
VCARA (an iSchool virtual worlds and virtual reality common interest group)
Conferences and Receptions
The iSchool runs a booth and reception at many conferences. Students who live in the area where the conference is being held can connect with faculty and staff and each other.
iSchoolAlert is a tool we use to distribute information to all students. Announcements include opportunities for internships, awards, scholarships, study abroad opportunities.
iSchoolAlert is also used to help build local communities of iSchool students. It allows e-mails to be sent to iSchool students in any particular geographic area. When an activity such as a library tour, a conference reception, or a professional event is scheduled, an alert can be e-mailed to all iSchool students within a defined radius (up to 100 miles).