PhD How to Apply
How to Apply — Gateway PhD
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Gateway PhD program offered through a partnership between the San José State University School of Information and Manchester Metropolitan University. New student cohorts will begin in July of each year. Please be sure to review the research areas we are currently recruiting for before completing the application procedures. Applications for the cohort beginning in July 2023 are closed; however, applications for the cohort beginning in July 2024 are open until November 1, 2023.
Applications for admission to the Gateway PhD program are processed in 3 stages. This is a coordinated effort between the two universities, with Manchester Metropolitan University selecting the finalists who are officially offered admission to the Gateway PhD program.
Stage 1: APPLICATION PACKAGE, RESEARCH PROPOSAL AND REVIEW BY FACULTY SUPERVISORS
Submit the following materials as a single ZIPped file using the Stage 1 application form by the deadline of November 1, 2023:
- CV or resume: A current and complete CV that includes your earned educational degrees, relevant professional experience, and peer-reviewed scholarly publications and presentations (full citations).
- Research proposal: 1,000 words describing your proposed research topic. Include references to core literature on the topic; references are not included in word count.
- Statement of interest: 500 words explaining why you are a strong candidate for the Gateway PhD program and its research focus areas. This should not duplicate information that is contained in the CV.
- Recommendation letters: two letters of recommendation from professionals who have knowledge of your research abilities.
- Transcripts (copies) for all earned degrees, with GPA indicated. Official transcripts are not needed at this stage. Do not send transcripts for courses taken if no degree was earned.
Submissions will be reviewed by the program faculty to determine eligibility, research capacity, and strength of alignment with the research areas for which we are recruiting. Materials will be shared with one or more faculty members for further determination of research aptitude and for potential alignment with faculty research areas. Decisions will be communicated to applicants starting March 1.
Stage 2: FACULTY INTERVIEWS
Applicants who proceed to Stage 2 will be reviewed by the faculty members with best alignment for the research topic. Stage 2 will include faculty interviews (typically held virtually), and may include an extended research proposal (~2,000 words). The faculty member may also request additional writing samples. Interviews will be conducted February 1 through March 1, 2023. Decisions will be communicated to applicants by the beginning of March 2023.
Stage 3: FINALISTS FORWARDED TO MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
The San José State University School of Information will send the materials for a group of finalists to Manchester Metropolitan University for consideration. Manchester Metropolitan University will contact the finalists to submit further information as required, including official transcripts, TOEFL scores (if applicable), etc. The final decision to offer admission is made by Manchester Metropolitan University.