MARA students customize their program based on their own interests by selecting 12 units of electives from MLIS, Informatics, and/or MARA offerings.
- Students interested in taking courses from the MLIS program, must select from a pre-approved list of approximately 46 courses and then complete the MLIS electives form.
- Students interested in taking courses from the Informatics program, may select from all offerings but must receive pre-approval from their MARA advisor.
- Students interested in taking MARA electives can select from any offered.*
MARA electives include:
MARA 294 – Professional Experience (3 credits, offered Spring only)
MARA 294 – Professional Experience is a highly recommended course for 3 of the 12 elective units possible. Students may engage in internships, organizational consulting projects (OCPs) or special projects. Credit for one year of work experience toward ICRM certification is granted to students who complete one of the following: Internship or OCP.
MARA 284 one- two- unit courses offered spring, fall, and summer.
- Advocacy and the Professional Image of Archivists in Popular Culture (1 unit – Spring only)
- Blockchain DLT for Archives, Records, & Information Governance (2 units – Summer only)
- Community Archives (2 units – Spring only)
- Design for Teaching & Learning in Social Virtual Reality (1 unit – Fall only)
- Digital Forensics for Archivists (2 units – Fall only)
- Ethics for Archivists and Records and Information Management Professionals (1 unit – Summer only)
- Health Information Management (1 unit – Summer only)
- Navigating the archives and records/information management job market (1 unit – Summer only)
*These MARA 284 electives cannot be taken in place of MARA 284 - Information Governance (IG) or MARA 284 – Information Assurance (IA), which are required courses for all MARA students. MARA students may take a total of only 12 units of 284 (6 required for IG and IA and the other 6 from MARA elective options).
MLIS electives recommendations include:
- INFO 256 Archives and Manuscripts (ACA Pre-Approved Course)
- INFO 259 Preservation Management (ACA Pre-Approved Course)
- INFO 240 Information Technology, Tools and Applications
- INFO 284 Seminar in Archives and Records Management with offerings in electronic records, digital curation (ACA Pre-Approved Course), encoded archival description, oral history, digitization and digital preservation (ACA Pre-Approved Course), special collections in a Web 2.0 world, characteristics and curation of new digital media, photographic archives and more from which to choose.
- INFO 287 Seminar in Information Science with offerings in virtual worlds including “Virtual Worlds: Traveling through Time and Space” and “Virtual Environments: Immersive Learning for Libraries and Archives”
Informatics courses as electives:
Informatics courses are listed as required or electives within that program. Although MARA students may elect to take any courses (up to 6 units of electives toward the MARA degree), they must first receive approval of the MARA advisor since:
- Fees are $525 a unit (MARA and MLIS courses are $474 a unit)
- The informatics classes are intensive and run at different dates from our MLIS and MARA classes.
- Students must demonstrate a strong technical foundation by having completed coursework and/or work experience with either 1) HTML5 and CSS, 2) a programming language, or 3) in information systems