In order to allow MARA students the opportunity to customize their program based on their own interests, students will select 12 units of electives from the MLIS, Informatics, and/or MARA offerings.
- Students interested in taking courses from the MLIS program, must select from a pre-approved list of approximately 46 courses and then complete the MLIS electives form.
- Students interested in taking courses from the Informatics program, may select from all offerings but must receive pre-approval from their MARA advisor.
- Students interested in taking MARA electives can select from any offered (up to 6 units of credit).*
*Currently several MARA 284 one- and two-credit topics are offered–these can be used as electives in place of INFO or INFM courses but cannot be taken in place of Information Governance or Information Assurance, which are required courses for all MARA students.
MLIS electives recommendations include:
- INFO 256 Archives and Manuscripts (ACA Pre-Approved Course)
- INFO 259 Preservation Management (ACA Pre-Approved Course)
- INFO 240 Information Technology, Tools and Applications
- INFO 284 Seminar in Archives and Records Management with offerings in electronic records, digital curation (ACA Pre-Approved Course), encoded archival description, oral history, digitization and digital preservation (ACA Pre-Approved Course), special collections in a Web 2.0 world, characteristics and curation of new digital media, photographic archives and more from which to choose.
- INFO 287 Seminar in Information Science with offerings in virtual worlds including “Virtual Worlds: Traveling through Time and Space” and “Virtual Environments: Immersive Learning for Libraries and Archives”
Informatics courses as electives:
Informatics courses are listed as required or electives within that program. Although MARA students may elect to take any courses (up to 6 units of electives toward the MARA degree), they must first receive approval of the MARA advisor since:
- Fees are $525 a unit (MARA and MLIS courses are $474 a unit)
- The informatics classes are intensive and run at different dates from our MLIS and MARA classes.
- Students must demonstrate a strong technical foundation by having completed coursework and/or work experience with either 1) HTML5 and CSS, 2) a programming language, or 3) in information systems.
MARA 294 Professional Experiences is highly recommended as a 3-credit elective.
Professional Experience is a valuable optional component of the MARA program. You’ll gain experience in your field of study, explore career options, and showcase your talents and skills through completion of an internship assignment, an organizational consulting project, or a special project related to the field of archives, records management and/or information governance. Students taking this course can concentrate on one of three options: Internship Experience, Organizational Consulting Project, or Professional Project.
MARA 284 One- and Two- Credit Electives
In addition to MARA 284 Information Governance and Information Assurance (each 3 credits and both required for graduation), students may elect to take up to 6 additional credits offered as MARA 284. One credit topics include: Advocacy & the Professional Image of Archivists & Archives in Popular Culture, Community Archives, Ethics for Archivists and Records and Information Management Professionals, Health Information Management, Navigating the archives and records/information management job market, and Design for Teaching & Learning in Social Virtual Reality. Two credit topics include Blockchain DLT & Archives, Records, & Information Governance and Digital Forensics For Archivists: An introduction.