MARA Elective Clusters
As a MARA student, you are required to complete 12 units from electives. Only 9 may be from outside of MARA (MLIS or Informatics). 3 must be MARA electives. You can select from:
- More than 40 pre-approved MLIS (INFO) 3-unit courses
- Variable unit MLIS courses with prior approval from the MARA advisor
- Any combination of MARA 1-, 2- and 3-unit courses
However, if you’re seeking more focused guidance in selecting your electives, we encourage you to consider one of the five elective clusters presented here:
- Data Analytics and Data Driven Decision Making
- Digital Assets Management
- Information Governance, Assurance and Security
- Digital Curation
- Cultural Heritage
No special designations appear on your transcript or diploma. All students earn the MARA degree.
If you follow one of the first three elective clusters (Data Analytics and Data Driven Decision Making; Digital Assets Management; or Information Governance, Assurance and Security) you can earn both your master’s degree and an advanced certificate from San José State University! See additional information about the Digital Assets Certificate on this web page.