MLIS Application Procedures
Before completing the online CSU Graduate Application, visit the State Authorization for Distance Education page to search for applicant eligibility information for residents of the state where you reside.
Please be sure to complete all 3 steps.
- Complete the university’s online graduate application. Note: Non-US citizens do not use the “International Admissions Application;” they use the Special Session ”Graduate Admissions Application.” Before completing the online CSU Graduate Application, read the following – and then apply at https://www2.calstate.edu/apply.
- For assistance with the CSU Graduate Application, an online tutorial is available.
- Apply to “San José State University Graduate.”
- On the Cal State Apply screen “Select the Program,” Regular Session applicants, please choose: Source > Campus “Library and Information Science MLIS” and Special Session applicants please choose: Source > Extended Education “Library and Information Science MLIS (Special Session)”
- Non-US citizens: On the Cal State Apply screen “Personal Information > Biographic Information” section, where it asks for “US State/Possession,” choose “Alabama.” SJSU Admissions staff will treat this U.S. State residency choice as a null value for you as a global applicant. This choice is just to help move you through the application.
A GRE, work experience, academic references, academic honors, and a statement of purpose are not necessary. In the boxes provided on the form, leave these boxes blank. For the “Statement of Purpose” box, only type in the words “not applicable.”
- When you click the “Submit” button, the application is electronically submitted to the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation (GAPE). Be sure to print out the “Confirmation” web page for future reference.
- Application URL
- Pay the CSU application fee of $70. Payment of the CSU application fee will be accepted by credit card or PayPal only. The payment must be made in order to submit your Cal State Apply university application.
- Do not send transcripts before you submit your application; but do submit them as soon as you submit your application. If your degree is from the United States or Canada, send official transcripts for your degree(s) and for all work from previous and current colleges or universities. Send official sealed transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions & Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017
(Use of any other zip code will cause misdirection and/or loss of transcripts)
If you attended SJSU, you do not send your SJSU transcript. For everyone else, transcripts may be sent electronically. If your school of record has partnered with any of the following vendors, the institution should send the transcripts to SJSU via these vendors and not to us directly. Transcripts in PDF format sent via email from the institution will not be accepted. If the vendor needs an email address, use: email@example.com
Credentials, Inc. or E-scripsafe
National Student Clearinghouse
SJSU alumni who apply to an iSchool graduate or certificate program: If you earned your master’s degree at SJSU and your SJSU graduate degree is older than one year, you will be required to send another set of undergraduate transcripts to the Graduate Admissions office by the provisional deadline for applicant documents. Contact the Graduate Admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org for the provisional document deadline for the semester you are applying.
If you attended a university outside the United States or Canada, you must submit your transcripts to WES. The Graduate Admissions office requires that all international applicants (except Canada) provide a WES evaluation of their transcripts, according to the SJSU GAPE office specifications. Do not send your transcripts to the address above.
Spring 2021: English Language Proficiency / International Documents
Due to test center closures during the global health pandemic, GAPE will continue to accept Duolingo for Spring 2021 admissions. GAPE also now accepts the online IELTS Indicator – same test and scores, just taken online from home. Due to the current global health pandemic, GAPE also approved the use of Academic Credentials Institute Inc. (ACEI) and International Education Evaluations, LLC (IEE) for an evaluation of international coursework for Spring 2021.
Please read the financial aid information page and then visit SJSU’s Seven Steps to Financial Aid to learn about the FAFSA application process and timelines. In order for financial aid to be available in your first semester, you must complete your financial aid application 3-4 months before the semester begins.