Research Profile: Patricia C. Franks
Statement of Research Interests and Experience
My research interests are in the area of archives and records management, especially issues related to documents created and managed as part of the business process. My Ph.D. in Organization and Management, combined with my Certification in Records Management, provides the background needed to examine challenges facing contemporary public and private organizations. My extensive consulting experience in both business process analysis and records management allow me to view theories and philosophies through a lens tempered by practical factors, such as the culture of the organization. My research interests focus on the management of records from their creation and use through preservation in an archive. The use of metadata and the role of the semantic web in classification, search, and retrieval are of particular import and interest.
One of the challenges facing contemporary information professionals–archivists, records managers, and librarians–is the impact advances in technology including social media and cloud computing have on our professions. Because of the need to deal with these issues in a timely manner, I have devoted significant time to the work of two professional organizations, ARMA International and AIIM. Some of the projects to which I contributed are listed on the Representative Publications list. My recent projects relate to social media, cloud computing, electronic messaging, electronic records management, and content information management systems.
In addition to research related to archives and records management, I am involved in research that will will result in high-quality virtual internship opportunities for online learners.
Possible PhD Thesis Topic Areas
- Archives and records management theories, policies, and practices
- Business archives principles and practices
- Impact of Web 2.0 on both archives and records management
- Metadata, semantic web, folksonomy
- Collaborative environments
- Use of Web 2.0 tools in online education
- Experiential learning opportunities for online students
Ten Representative Publications
- Franks, P.C. & Oliver, G.C. (2012). “Experiential Learning and International Collaboration Opportunities: Virtual Internships,” Library Review, 61(4). United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Franks, P., Hatala, J., Rossi, M., and Semple M.(2011). Is your avatar ethical? Online-course tools that are methods for student identity and verification. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 39(2), 181-191.
- ANSI/ARMA standard, “Implications of Web-Based Technologies in Records Management” approved by ANSI January 2011. Served as Project Lead.
- Franks, P.C. (2010, November). How Federal Agencies Can Effectively Manage Records Created Using New Social Media Tools, IBM Center for the Business of Government, Washington, DC.
- Franks, P.C. (2009). Understanding Web 2.0 and Challenges for the Records Manager, Information and Records Management Annual 2009, 107-121.
- ANSI/AIIM (2009). Technical report for Information and Image Management–Glossary of document technologies. Silver Spring, MD: contributing author.
- Franks, P. (2008). Entrenched against the email onslaught, Document, 16(6), 20-23.
- ARMA International. (2007). Procedures & Issues for Managing Electronic Messages as Records. (ANSI/ARMA TR-02-2007). Lenexa, KS: ARMA Standards Development Committee, Project Manager, Task Force Leader, and contributing author.
- Franks, P. (with Nancy Kunde) (2006). Why Metadata Matters, The Information Management Journal, September/October issues, 55-61.
- Franks, P. (2005). E-mail risk management: Issues and challenges related to records retention and electronic discover. Available from UMI ProQuest Digital Dissertation Database.
Professional Memberships and Related Matters
- I am a member of several professional associations but am most active in the following: Society of American Archivists (SAA), ARMA International, AIIM, and the New York State Chapter of ARMA (CNYARMA). My current positions are:
- SAA: Vice Editor, Business Archives Section, 2009-2010.
- ARMA: Member, Standards Development Task Force; Higher Education Task Force, Electronic Records Management Software Applications: Design Criteria Task Force, and Project Manager for Implications of Web-based Technology in Records Management Task Force.
- AIIM: Member of committee maintaining ANSI/AIIM Technical Report for Information & Image Management–Glossary of Document Technologies; member Interoperable Enterprise Content Management Committee.
- CNYARMA: Current board member and past president.