TL Admissions Requirements
Applicants who meet the following requirements will be considered for admission to the Teacher Librarian program:
- A bachelor’s degree for any regionally accredited institution in any discipline with a GPA of at least 3.0 at the bachelor’s degree institution or in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Note that the institution must university must state that it is regionally accredited by one of the accrediting bodies listed: Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges; Higher Learning Commission (HLC); Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE); New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE); Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU); Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC); WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
- Course work completed after the bachelor’s degree must maintain a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units and therefore will be included in the GPA calculations for admissions consideration. If the post-bachelor degree course work causes the GPA to fall below 3.0 it will be cause for denial. (GPA can be raised by taking classes at any regionally accredited institution. The classes must be used in a degree program at that institution. They cannot be professional or personal development classes.)
- A general understanding of computers and technology.
- Access to a computer with Internet connection and appropriate software.
- International applicants must have a TOEFL score of 600 (paper version), 250 (computer version), or 100 (Internet-based); or an IELTS score of 8.
Note: We do not require a GMAT or GRE test, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, or a resume. Therefore, please do not include any of these in your application.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Teacher Librarian Services Credential from California:
- A valid California Clear Professional Teaching Credential
- Basic Skills Authorization
- English Learner Authorization
If you do not live in the State of California, it is necessary to contact the certifying agency in your state to confirm the requirements for a Teacher Librarian Services Credential. We cannot certify paperwork for other states if you do not have a California Clear Professional Teaching Credential. States that accept course work or an MLIS are exempt. If you have specific questions, Dr. Mary Ann Harlan can provide further information. Please contact her before you apply for admission.