Post Masters Application Procedures
IMPORTANT: The notice of admission from the San José State University School of Information will only come via email. Make sure you set your spam filter to accept all correspondences from the sjsu.edu domain.
Before completing the online Cal State Apply application, visit the State Authorization for Distance Education page to search for applicant eligibility information for residents of the state where you reside.
Please be sure to complete all 4 steps.
1. Before starting the application process, take the time to choose your career pathway. Be sure to read about each pathway you are interested in and the class choices for each pathway. You will not be able to take classes from multiple pathways. It is important to choose your pathway now, before you apply. If you have questions about the pathways, please contact Dr. Linda Main.
2. Complete the university’s Cal State Apply application. Note: Students applying for the Post-Master’s Certificate should select “Certificate” under the degree objective portion of the application. Note: Non-US citizens do not use the “International Admissions Application;” they use the domestic application for Certificate programs. Before completing the online Cal State Apply Application, read the following– and then apply for Spring 2024, at: https://calstate2024.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login or Fall 2024 at: https://calstate.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login For assistance with the application, an online tutorial is available. On the Cal State Apply screen “Select the Programs,” please choose: Source: Extended Education > San Jose Extension “Post-Master’s Certificate in Library and Information Science (Special Session)”
A GRE, work experience, academic references, academic honors, and a statement of purpose are not necessary. In the boxes provided on the form, leave these boxes blank. For the “Statement of Purpose” box, only type in the words “not applicable”.
- Fill out the application to show only your bachelor’s degree institution and your master’s degree institution.
- When you click the “Submit” button, the application is electronically submitted to the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation (GAPE). Be sure to print out the “Confirmation” web page for future reference.
3. Pay the CSU Graduate Application fee of $70. Payment of the CSU Application Fee will be accepted by credit card or PayPal only. The payment must be made in order to submit your Cal State Apply university application.
4. Do not send transcripts before you submit your application. If your degree is from the United States or Canada, send official transcripts for your degree(s) and for all work from previous and current colleges or universities. If you attended SJSU, you do not send your SJSU transcript.
There are two options for sending transcripts: (1) by mail, (2) electronically
(1) By mail. Send officially sealed transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions & Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017
(Use of any other zip code will cause misdirection and/or loss of transcripts)
2) Electronically, send directly by the Institution’s Registrar to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your school of record has partnered with any of the following vendors, the institution should send the transcripts to SJSU Admissions directly. If the vendor needs an email address, use: email@example.com
Credentials, Inc. or E-scripsafe
National Student Clearinghouse
SJSU graduate Alumni who apply to an iSchool Graduate or Certificate program: Due to Admissions policy, if you earned your master’s at SJSU and your SJSU graduate degree is older than 1 year, you will be required to send another set of undergraduate transcripts to Graduate Admissions by the provisional deadline for applicant documents. Contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org for the provisional document deadline for the semester you are applying.
If you attended a university outside the United States or Canada, you must submit your transcripts to WES. The Graduate Admissions office requires that all international applicants (except Canada) provide a WES evaluation of their transcripts, according to the SJSU GAPE office specifications. Do not send your transcripts to the address above. The university also accepts ACEI or ECE.
English Language Proficiency / International Documents
English Language Proficiency / International Documents: GAPE now accepts the online IELTS Indicator – same test and scores, just taken online from home. Look for the School of Information scores, under University Required English Language Proficiency (ELP) Exams.
Applicants wishing to use Veteran’s or military benefits need to check in with the San Jose State University Veteran’s Office. CalVet fee waivers cannot be used within the Special Session Post-Master’s Certificate program.