As part of the MLIS program at the SJSU School of Information, students intending to work as K–12 school librarians may follow the recommended coursework required to apply for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential.

The Teacher Librarian Services Credential is the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) professional license that allows the candidate to work as a professional librarian in California K–12 public schools. The course of study is designed to prepare candidates based on the MLIS competencies and the Standards of Program Quality and Effectiveness and Factors to Consider in the Evaluation of Library Media Teacher Programs (Commission on Teacher Credentialing, 2012).

10 out of 10 Teacher Librarian students recommend the program to others.

The CTC-approved course of study for the Teacher Librarian Services Credential is also approved by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The Teacher Librarian program at the SJSU School of Information can be completed in 31 units, including the field experience course. These 31 units are part of the MLIS degree program, and students are strongly encouraged to complete the additional 12 units required for the Master of Library and Information Science degree, in order to benefit from the flexibility of a degree accredited by the American Library Association and to expand their employability and career prospects in the field of library and information science.

The Teacher Librarian Services Credential is a second credential. To be granted the Teacher Librarian Services Credential, a candidate must first hold a valid single or multiple subject clear credential issued by the CTC. 

If you are interested in a Teacher Librarian Services Credential from a state other than California, you should check with that state's Department of Education for their requirements before undertaking this program to make sure the courses in the Teacher Librarian program at the SJSU iSchool are accepted by that state. It is important to check with your home state to determine if they only require approved coursework or if they in fact expect you to meet all of the requirements for a CA Teacher Librarianship certificate. A sample question might be: "Do I have to complete a program making me eligible for a endorsement in the home institution state or is coursework sufficient?" If the answer is that you need to meet all of the requirements for a CA Teacher Librarian certificate, you will need the following:

  • A valid California Professional Clear Credential
  • Basic Skill Authorization
  • English Language Learner Authorization